Monday, July 22, 2013

Three Crosses


For the past month I have had a graduate class in Memphis. This consisted of me traveling to Memphis 2-3 times a week. If you have ever been on the interstate in Memphis it is very likely that you have noticed three huge crosses on the side of the interstate at a local church (Bellevue). Yes, this is something that is so neat and makes a big statement!!! -But it wasn’t until last week that something stood out to me.

We sing about the cross, we read about the power of the cross, and we refer to it as an international symbol of the Christian faith, and appreciate what Christ did for us on the cross. The cross is seen in a single representation, but also commonly displayed as the three cross scene that is in found in Luke 23:32-43. Here we read that Jesus was crucified on the cross between two thieves.



Although I have known this story since a child, it hit “home” in a whole new way. I saw two things. I saw the humility the scene of the three crosses proves. The life of Christ was one that was lived in the middle of the common man, the sinner, the least of these. During His final moments, Christ is in the middle of two that His ministry was created for.

The second thing is that it was in that instance that Jesus shared His love with the man who was enduring the pain along side Him, and allowing the man to accept Him in exchange for His sins. It makes me wonder about the immediate fate after this thief’s death. Was He one of the first to truly experience the Kingdom of Heaven?! Did He have a special role in the time that Jesus was “dead”?! How awesome is our God?!

Although it will never truly be known, I will look at the three cross scene with a different view from now on. You may have already thought about these things, but I am glad you just joined me during my “process”!

In Christ’s love – Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment